Skip to content
  • No admin fees
  • UK based call centre
  • 'New for Old' cover
  • Award Winning Service^
  • 24-hour legal helpline
Age Co is 100% owned by Age UK and gives its profits to the charity enabling them to support those older people most at need

Common Questions About Home Insurance For Over 60s

You might have put a lot of money into your home over the years. You may also have collected many treasured and valuable possessions. This means it’s vital to have home insurance in place that you can rely on.

Fortunately, it’s easy to get high-quality home insurance when you are aged 60 or over. Age Co offers buildings insurance, contents insurance or both for the over 60s, which can be purchased separately or as a package.

What’s different about home insurance for over 60s?

At Age Co, home insurance for over 60s is exactly the same as our other home insurance policies. Simply select the type and level of cover you need for your property. Once you have your policy in place, you can relax in the knowledge that your home and possessions are protected.

What’s included in home insurance for over 60s?

You can choose whether to purchase buildings insurance, contents insurance or both as a combined package.

Buildings insurance offers financial protection in the event of damage to the structure of your home. Age Co buildings insurance for the over 60s automatically covers your property up to £500,000 rebuilding costs. It includes fixtures and fittings, garages, paths, drives and patios. It also covers damage to your garden walls and any outbuildings.

Contents insurance protects the belongings inside your home, covering you for loss or damage to household goods, valuables and replacement external locks. It also covers alternative accommodation costs†† if your home can’t be lived in because of an insured event.

Buildings and contents insurance policies are designed to protect you against a range of risks, including storm damage, fires and floods. They also cover you against the escape of water or oil leaks, malicious damage, impact by vehicles, falling trees, subsidence and more.

There are a range of optional extras that you can add to your home insurance policy for an additional cost. These include accidental damage cover, personal legal protection and home emergency cover.

What affects the price of over 60s home insurance?

A number of things can affect the price you pay for your over 60s home insurance. For example, the size and age of your property will impact the cost of your premiums. Where you live will have a bearing too. If you live in an area with a high crime rate, this may push your insurance costs up. Similarly, if your home is in an area at a high risk of flooding, you could expect to pay more. Previous home insurance claims are likely to increase your premiums too. If you use your property for a business, this could also raise the cost of cover.

If you’re thinking of relocating or downsizing for retirement, you might want to consider insurance costs when choosing a property. This could affect the type of home you go for, as well as the area you move to.

Why choose Ago Co Home Insurance for over 60s?

There are many reasons to choose Ago Co for your over 60s home insurance. For example, you’ll benefit from an award-winning service^ and a 24-hour legal helpline. Also, you won’t encounter any admin fees, and you’ll speak with someone at a UK-based call centre. Ago Co Home Insurance is 5 Star Defaqto rated, so you know you’re getting a high-quality product.

Summary of cover

See what is and isn't covered by Age Co's combined buildings and contents Home Insurance.

In addition to this summary of cover, please refer to the Home Insurance Policy Document for terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions and to the Buildings & Contents Cover Product Information Document for details specific to your quotation.

Buildings insurance 
Standard policy limits
Loss or damage to the building, as covered by your policy
The maximum claim limit shown on your building insurance policy schedule
Trace and access source of leak for escape of water and escape of oil causes Up to the maximum claim limit shown on your policy schedule
Property owners' liability £2 million
Cover for rent or alternative accommodation costs†† if your home can't be lived in due to an insured event
20% of the building's maximum claim limit shown on your policy schedule
Contents insurance Standard policy limits
Loss or damage to your home contents, as covered by your policy The maximum claim limit shown on your contents insurance policy schedule
Maximum claim limit for any valuable £2,000. Cover for higher valued items may be available upon request
Valuables in the home The maximum claim limit shown on your policy schedule
Money £500
Credit cards £1,000 
Freezer food  £1,000 
Public and personal liability £2 million 
Unpaid damages £2 million 
Tenant's liability 20% of the maximum claim limit for contents shown on your policy schedule 
Loss or damage to contents during removal Up to the maximum claim limit for contents shown on your policy schedule 
10% increase in the maximum claim limit for religious festivals, birthdays, family wedding, and civil partnership ceremonies  Maximum claim limit for contents increased by 10% 
Counseling fees  £1,000 
Garden cover  £1,500 
Accidental breakage to audio/visual equipment, DVD equipment, fixed glass in furniture, mirrors, and desktop computers   Up to the maximum claim limit for contents shown on your policy schedule 
Fraudulent use of credit cards £1,000 
Carer's contents  £250
Items covered while living in a nursing home, residential care home or staying with family or friends Up to 20% of the maximum claim limit for contents shown on your policy schedule 
Medical equipment on loan  £5,000 
Accidental damage to wheelchairs and stairlifts in the home  Up to the maximum claim limit for contents shown on your policy schedule
Rent and alternative accommodation  20% of the contents' maximum claim limit shown on your policy schedule 

Additional benefits available to you 24 hours, 365 days a year:

  • Identity theft advice. If you are a victim of or worried about identity theft, there is advice and guidance.
  • 24-Hour Domestic Assistance Service.  If you have an emergency in your home, the service provider Arc Legal Assistance Ltd can arrange help from an authorised contractor. The contractor's costs or call-out fees will only be repaid if they are covered by your Home Insurance policy or Home Emergency policy (minus any excess).
  • Optional additional voluntary excess. If you agree to pay an additional excess of £50, £100, or £250 for your buildings and contents insurance cover, you may reduce your insurance premium. This is on top of the standard £95 policy excess.
  • 24-hour legal helpline. Expert, independent and confidential advice on any legal problem arising under the laws of any member country of the EU or the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Switzerland, or Norway.

Significant exclusions:

Buildings Insurance

Loss or damage caused by weight of snow. Loss or damage to gates and fences caused by storm or flood. 

Contents Insurance

Loss or damage caused by weight of snow. Theft or attempted theft when your home or any part of it is lent, let, or sublet to or occupied by someone who is not a member of your family unless damaged was caused because force was used to get in or out of the building.

General policy exclusions applicable to all sections and optional extras

Property covered by another policy of insurance. Any criminal or deliberate act by you or your family. Loss or damage caused by wear and tear or lack of maintenance.


Policy options and extras

Choose from a wide range of optional extras to tailor the cover to suit you.

For an additional charge, you can add these optional extras to your insurance cover. Please download the policy document for full terms and conditions.


Standard policy limits

Significant exclusions

Accidental damage to buildings and contents Up to the buildings' or contents' maximum claim limit shown on your policy schedule
  • Damage caused by or resulting from chewing, scratching, tearing or fouling by domestic animals or pets.
  • Damage caused by or resulting from wet rot or dry rot or other gradual causes.
Unspecified personal belongings Limited to £1,000 - £5,000
  • Any amount over £1,000 for theft or disappearance of property from unattended locked motor vehicles.
  • Loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft from an unlocked hotel room, motel room, bed & breakfast room or other similar temporary lodging.
  • Loss or damage caused to dentures whilst being used for eating and to crowns, caps or fillings in teeth.
Specified personal belongings Limited to £10,000
  • Any amount over £1,000 for theft or disappearance of property from unattended locked motor vehicles.
  • Loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft from an unlocked hotel room, motel room, bed & breakfast room or other similar temporary lodging.
  • Loss or damage caused to dentures whilst being used for eating and to crowns, caps or fillings in teeth.
Pedal cycles Limited to £300 unspecified and £1,000 specified
  • Cuts, bursts or punctures to tyres.
  • Theft or attempted theft of an unattended pedal cycle away from the home unless the pedal cycle is either in a locked building or secured by a suitable chain and padlock (or cycle lock) to a post, cycle rack or immovable object.
Static caravan Up to £35,000 for the structure and up to £2,500 for the caravan equipment
  • Malicious damage caused to television sets (and their aerials), satellite receivers or decoders, radios, audio equipment, video recording equipment, DVD players or desk-top computers when your caravan is unoccupied or while the caravan site is closed.
Touring caravan Up to £25,000 for the structure and up to £2,500 for the caravan equipment
  • Loss or damage caused by the caravan being stolen at any time, unless it is fitted with a hitchlock or wheelclamp that is working properly.
Home emergency

To qualify to add Home Emergency cover, the property has to be owned by the policyholder and also their main residence.

Benefits include:

  • complete failure of your central heating system involving a boiler or warm air unit.
  • removal of wasp nests, mice or rats within your home.

Limited to £1,500 during the period of insurance, with a claim limit of £500 per incident. Provides emergency repair by a qualified professional or permanent repair provided this does not exceed the cost of the emergency repair. Claim limits include the cost of call out, labour, materials and VAT.

  • An emergency which happens before the period of insurance starts or within 14 days of the date of first purchase of this policy.
  • Any claim where the home is unoccupied for 60 consecutive days or more.
  • Any replacement costs as a consequence of natural wear and tear or gradual deterioration.
  • Cover unavailable in the Scottish Isles.
 Personal legal protection Provides up to £100,000 of cover to take legal action for things such as employment, contract or property disputes and personal injuries or clinical negligence.
  • There must be more than a 50% chance of success for the claim to be accepted.
  • Costs and expenses incurred before Arc Legal Assistance Ltd accept a claim in writing are not covered.

How to make a claim

24-hour claims helplines:

  • If your policy is underwritten by Ageas Insurance Limited, call 0345 602 5273.
  • If your policy is underwritten by Prestige Underwriting Services Limited, call 0800 028 5273.

If you are unsure who underwrites your policy, you can find this information on your policy schedule, or you can call the Age Co Home Insurance policy administration helpline on 0345 128 7916. Lines open Mon-Fri: 8am to 8pm, Sat: 9am to 1pm.

If you are aware of an incident that might lead to a claim or you need to make a claim, you must do the following as soon as possible:

What you must do for all claims:

  • Tell the police as soon as reasonably possible if something is lost or if you suspect theft or malicious damage.
  • Take all practical steps to get back any property which has been lost.
  • If you have been asked to fill in a claim form, send it back with everything that has been asked for, within 30 days of it being sent to you.
  • Immediately send to your insurer any written claim which is made against you, and provide them with full details of any verbal claims made against you.
  • Take reasonable action to protect the property from further loss or damage.

You must not:

  • Throw away, get rid of or destroy any items that are damaged until you are told to do so.
  • Admit or deny responsibility for any incident; or negotiate or settle any claims made against you by anyone else, unless it has been agreed in writing that you can.

Any claims against you can be negotiated, defended or settled in your name and on your behalf. Legal action can also be taken in your name but for the benefit of the insurer to get back any payment made under the policy.

Words written in bold/italicised have special meanings.
These meanings are explained in the policy definitions section of the policy booklet on pages 7-9.

Age Co Home Insurance is administered by Ageas Retail Limited^^

Customer reviews

Policy documents

If you're an existing customer, please call the friendly UK-based team on 0345 603 0512 if you need postal copies of any of your documents. Calls to 03 numbers use free plan minutes if available, otherwise, they cost the same as 01/02 prefix calls.

If your policy reference starts with 'UK' it is underwritten by Ageas. If your policy reference starts with 'AU' it is underwritten by Prestige. If you're unsure or if this doesn't apply, please get in touch.

Product Literature

Home Insurance Policy Document
(viewable in pdf, file size 3 MB) 

(viewable in pdf, file size 185 KB)
Personal Legal Protection Policy Document
(viewable in pdf, file size 1 MB) 


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I make a claim?

Simply call the claims helpline (telephone number shown on your policy schedule), which is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. An operator will immediately confirm whether your policy covers you for the incident. Please have your policy details available.

If you want to make a claim on your Home Emergency cover, please call 0800 952 3189.

If you want to make a claim on your Personal Legal Protection policy, please call 0333 005 0353 and quote “Age Co Personal Legal Protection”.

Top of section

Can anyone take out a home insurance policy?

Age Co Home Insurance is designed with the over 50s in mind, however there is no age restriction and anyone can apply providing your home is:

  • occupied solely by you and your family
  • your permanent residence
  • in the UK or the Isle of Man
  • free from subsidence and underpinning in the last 25 years
  • where the cost of rebuilding does not exceed £500,000
  • not a Grade 1 listed building

In order to provide buildings cover, the property must be owned by you.

Cover cannot be provided if you or anyone living with you has:

  • had a previous insurance subjected to increased terms or conditions or cover withdrawn or refused
  • been declared bankrupt or has a current County Court Judgement made against them which has not been discharged (bankruptcies which have been discharged, and CCJs that have been paid in full or are more than 6 years old do not count)

Please note that other factors may also affect eligibility, not just those listed above.

Top of section

Do I have to take out both contents and buildings insurance?

No. If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord should have buildings insurance and you only need contents insurance. 

Top of section

How are claims settled?

All claims for contents cover are settled on a ‘new for old’ basis. So, damaged items will be repaired and anything stolen or damaged beyond repair will be replaced as new. With buildings cover, claim settlements are based on the full repair or rebuilding cost. Please note, the sum insured must be high enough to cover the full replacement or rebuilding cost at today’s prices.

Top of section

Do I need to have any specific locks on my doors and windows to qualify for home insurance?

Not necessarily. But, if you need to insure high sums or depending on the area you live in, you may need to take additional precautions as part of the arrangements for providing your buildings and contents insurance cover. See page 10 of the policy document for more details.

Top of section

What if I change my mind?

If you’re not satisfied with your policy, you can cancel at any time by telephoning or writing to Age Co Insurance. You will only be charged for the time you have been on cover unless a claim has been made. If a claim has been made, you will need to pay the full annual premium. See page 10 of the policy document for more details.

Top of section

How do I add an optional extra, such as accidental damage, to my cover?

You can add extras options to your cover online or over the telephone. The insurance arranger will be happy to discuss the options with you so that you can decide what additional cover you need. When you apply, just let them know which extras – if any – you want to include in your cover.

Top of section

Do I pay extra if I change my policy?

If you make a change to your policy during the period of insurance and the difference in the premium is less than £10, you will not be charged an additional premium or have a refund. Plus, unlike most insurers, Age Co Home Insurance will not charge you an admin fee for changing your policy.

Top of section

What are 'admin fees'?

'admin fees' can include adjustment fees, cancellation fees and duplicate document fees. Age Co Home Insurance have no fees for policy amendments, cancellations, and duplicate documents.

Top of section

Who are Defaqto?

Defaqto are a leading independent UK financial researcher, specialising in analysing and comparing financial products such as insurance. They rate hundreds of insurance products, giving each a 1 to 5 rating based on quality and comprehensiveness of the features and benefits it offers. This may help you make a more informed decision about which one suits your needs. Defaqto are completely independent and unbiased and never knowingly exclude a product or policy from their Star Ratings.

Top of section

What does Star rating mean?

It is important to base your financial decisions on the quality of a product - not just how much it costs. Star Ratings assess products based on the features and benefits they offer, helping you see at a glance where a product sits in the market. Age UK Home Insurance provides one of the highest quality policies in the market as indicated by a Defaqto 5 Star Rating.

Top of section

What type of home insurance do I need?

Buildings insurance is compulsory if your property is mortgaged, and is highly recommended (but not compulsory) if you own your house outright.

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your property and your permanent fixtures and fittings, such as your kitchen and bathroom. To put it simply, buildings insurance covers the things you can’t take with you if you were to move to a new house. You cannot take out buildings insurance for a property you don’t own. 

Whether you are in owned, rented or temporary accommodation, you should also protect your belongings. Contents insurance covers the items within your home from loss, damage or theft. Again, to put it simply, contents insurance covers the items you would take with you if you were to move. Most content insurance policies will have the option of covering items while you are away from your home or on holiday. An additional charge may apply.

It is sensible to have both buildings and contents insurance, as independently they might not give you the cover you need. Plus, many insurers will provide a discount to customers who take out both buildings and contents insurance from the same provider.

Top of section

Get in touch

^The UK based service team have been awarded the Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award 2021.
††Rent and Alternative Accommodation cover is 20% of the Buildings or Contents sum insured.
*If you call the 0800 number, you will be dealing with Ageas Retail Limited.
^^Details are available on request.

Age Co Car, Breakdown and Home Insurance are arranged and administered by Ageas Retail Limited. AgeCo Limited is a trading subsidiary of Age UK (registered charity no. 1128267). Both AgeCo Limited (Financial Services Register no. 311438) and Ageas Retail Limited (Financial Services Register no. 312468) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. AgeCo Limited registered office: One America Square, 17 Crosswall , London, EC3N 2LB (registered in England and Wales, no. 03156159). Ageas Retail Limited registered office: Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA (registered in England and Wales, no. 01324965).

If you need to make a complaint, please refer to the policy documents.

Age Co are unable to offer insurance to residents of the Channel Islands.

AgeCo Limited are always committed to providing good customer service. If you buy a product from AgeCo Limited, you may be contacted by our partners Feefo on our behalf to find out about your buying experience.


Back to top