What medical conditions have to be declared for your car insurance?

5 minute read

Close up of person driving a car

There are certain medical conditions that could have an impact on your driving and may compromise the safety of yourself and other drivers on the road.

A car insurance quote is determined by a number of rating factors that help insurers calculate how likely a claim is to be made. A medical condition such as diabetes or visual impairment could indicate an increased likelihood of claiming and therefore may contribute to a higher policy price.

When you take out car insurance, it’s likely that the provider will ask if you have any medical conditions that have been declared to the DVLA. Notifying both your insurance company and the DVLA of certain health issues is essential. If you fail to do so, your insurance could be invalid and you might be fined up to £1,000.


What conditions affect car insurance?

The following conditions could have an impact on your car insurance premium.


Sleep apnea or fainting spells

It goes without saying that involuntarily falling asleep or fainting at the wheel is really dangerous for you and other drivers.

According to the Sleep Apnea Trust, you do not need to notify the DVLA or your insurance company of sleep apnea if it is mild or moderate and you don’t experience excessive sleepiness. However, if you experience severe sleepiness, they must be notified.

If you experience regular fainting spells, it’s imperative that you notify your car insurance company should this happen while you’re driving.


Visual impairments

As you age, your eyesight can deteriorate, and this is why it’s important to have regular eye tests. You may recollect the examiner during your driving test asking you to read the number plate of the car in front of you. This simple task allows them to assess your eyesight and ensure that you can see everything around you clearly. If you were wearing glasses or contact lenses at the time of the test, you’re legally required to wear them any time you’re driving in the future.

If your sight deteriorates, you experience double vision or you lose your eyesight altogether, the DVLA and your insurance company must be notified. Cataracts, glaucoma and night blindness are all conditions that can worsen with age, too. If you experience any symptoms of these conditions, including sensitivity to light, clouded vision, severe eye pain, nausea or halos around lights, you should see your doctor. They may recommend that you avoid driving until you can get your eyesight checked, so see if you can get someone else to come to the appointment with you.


History of strokes

As long as you haven’t had a stroke recently, you’ll be okay to drive as normal. However, should you experience a stroke, you won’t be able to drive for a month and you must inform your insurance provider and the DVLA. After 30 days, your doctor will determine whether it’s safe for you to drive again, however your insurance premium could increase.



As with sleep apnea or fainting, it can be hard to determine when an epilpetic fit will occur. If you have epilepsy, it’s likely that the DVLA will want to assess you in person to determine how bad the condition is and whether you can continue to drive in a safe manner.

It’s possible that your licence will need to be renewed every three years instead of 10, and, if you experience a seizure, you must see your doctor and notify your car insurance provider as soon as possible.


Neurological conditions

Neurological conditions include Parkinson’s disease, narcolepsy, multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease and Alzheimers. If you have one of the above, you will need to be assessed and you may be required to renew your licence each year. For conditions that can get worse over time, such as Alzheimers and motor neurone disease, you may need to be assessed on a regular basis.


Physical impairments

If you have a physical disability, such as an amputated limb or a spine condition, your car insurer must be notified, particularly if your vehicle has been modified specially for you.

With a physical impairment, you may require a car that has hand controls instead of pedals, steering aids, electronic accelerators or a ramp. These kinds of modifications could increase your car insurance premiums and, if you don’t declare them, your insurance could be invalid should you need to make a claim.

It’s also important to check what courtesy cars your insurer offers if you need one. Do they have a suitable replacement that you’re still able to drive?


Does diabetes affect car insurance?

Diabetes shouldn’t have an impact on your car insurance if you find that it’s easily controllable yourself. However, should you require treatment, such as insulin, you will be given a restricted licence. These are restricted to one, two or three years. If you have a restricted licence this could have an impact on your premium.

To find out if your health condition needs to be declared, you can use the government’s A-Z check. Should you need to notify the DVLA, you must source the correct form. There are multiple forms available, and your condition will determine the one you should fill out. For example, the FEP1 form is for those experiencing convulsions, seizures, fits, deja vu, blackouts or fainting. Use the A-Z list above, click on your condition and the website will tell you which form you need to complete with a handy link directly to it. Alternatively, you can report your condition online. To report the conditions to your insurance provider, get in touch with them directly. 


Win £500 in the Age Co Prize Draw!

Simply let us know your Home and Car Insurance renewal dates or just share your email address to be in with a chance of winning. See the full terms and conditions via the form.