How to apply for a disabled parking bay

5 minute read

Disabled bay markings on a road

For many people living in the UK with a disability ‒ mental, physical or otherwise ‒ a disabled parking space can be a real benefit. These designated spaces mean that, even in a busy supermarket or shopping centre car park, there will be spaces available that are close to amenities.

If you live in a property where only on street parking is available, you may even be able to apply to have a space allocated for your use outside your home or nearby. Below, you can find out exactly how to apply and how much it could cost.


Can I have a disabled parking bay outside my house?

You should be able to have a disabled parking space outside or close to your house if you require one, and this can usually be approved by the council. Your local council will make the effort to meet your needs and will analyse your individual case, to see if a disabled parking bay is warranted.

If you have off-street parking, your application likely won’t be considered. The council will only seriously consider applicants who find it very difficult to get a space outside or near their home and don’t have a specific place to park.

You must also have a blue badge, have a car registered to your address and receive the higher rate of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA). If you are a carer, you can apply for the person you care for on their behalf.


How to apply for disabled parking outside your home

You can apply for a disabled parking space through your local council website. Most local councils will allow you to apply online, whereas some may require you to download a form and send it back via post or email.

There are some documents that you will need to provide to the council when you make your application, so you may want to have them ready before you start. 

To apply, you will need:

  • Evidence of your higher-rate PIP (Personal Independence Payment), Attendance Allowance or DLA (Disability Living Allowance) payments
  • Proof that you own or lease your car, such as a lease agreement or V5C
  • Your blue badge number and its expiry date

If scanned in, the documents should be clear and easy to read. Most importantly, they should be whole without any information cropped off.

Once your application has been sent off, the council will send a representative to your house to inspect the street and the potential spot for the disabled parking bay. A space cannot be installed if the number of bays is already more than 10% of the total number of houses. For instance, where a street has 30 houses, there can’t be any more than three disabled parking spaces.

They may also decide where the parking space will go. This isn’t always directly outside your house if they deem this location unsuitable. Its location will depend on various factors, including traffic, junctions and other parking restrictions.

It’s really important to remember that a disabled parking bay doesn’t just belong to you ‒ it can be used by anyone with a blue badge, even if it’s directly on the street outside your home.

Once the inspector has conducted their visit, the council will be in touch to state whether or not your application has been granted. If it has, they will arrange a date to have the markings installed on the road. This can take up to nine months, depending on your local council, so it’s not always a quick process.


How much does it cost to have a disabled parking bay outside your house?

The cost to have a disabled parking space installed outside your home will depend on where you live, so you should check your local council’s website for more details.

For instance, Liverpool City Council says that it’s free to have a space installed, whereas Leicester City Council requires a £100 fee to cover the cost of having the road markings painted. The council will advise you of the cost at the time of application, so you can decide whether you’re happy to pay or can do without the parking space. Payment is generally required ahead of work starting.

It can take up to three months to process your application, depending on your council and whether you need further assessment. It’s best to ask them how long it’s likely to take when you apply.