Skip to content

What should I do if my car breaks down?

| Insurance

There is never a good time to break down and you should look after your vehicle to ensure that the chances of vehicle failure are reduced. However, if it were to happen, would you know what to do and be able to keep calm?

In this article, we provide you with advice in case you ever find yourself stranded at the side of the road and how you can stay safe while you’re waiting for the recovery vehicle.

What to do if you breakdown on the motorway

The motorway is one of the most dangerous places you can break down. It’s a large open space where vehicles are driving at fast speeds. You will need to act in a calm manner to ensure that you and any passengers remain safe until you’re back on the road.

The most important thing to remember is not to panic. If you feel that something is wrong with your vehicle, exit the motorway as safely as possible. You could take the next exit or pull into a service station. If this isn’t possible or it’s an emergency situation, such as a tyre blowout or complete engine failure, use the hard shoulder or closest emergency refuge area (ERA). Remember to put your hazard lights on so that cars around you are aware that there is a problem.

If you use the hard shoulder, ensure that you park the vehicle is far to the left as you can, away from the fast-moving traffic. Turn your wheels away from the motorway just in case the car rolls. This will ensure that if you leave your handbrake off accidentally, your car won’t roll into the road. If it’s dark, put your side lights on as well as your hazard lights so that vehicles can clearly see you.

All passengers should exit the vehicle on the left hand side. The driver should not attempt to get out using their door. Pets must be left inside the vehicle, as this is thought to be the safest place for them. A dog that gets scared and runs into the road is a danger to other motorists.

Do not attempt to place a warning triangle behind the car if you’re on the motorway. The more time you spend near the motorway, the higher your chances are of getting injured. Sit or stand as far away from your vehicle as you can and wait for the rescue services to reach you.

You should use a mobile phone to contact your breakdown service company as soon as possible. If there’s no signal or your mobile has no battery, walk to the nearest emergency phone which will be situated somewhere along the hard shoulder. Walk as far away from the motorway as you can. The telephone will automatically connect you to the Highways Agency or the police and is free to use. When you’re talking on the phone, always face the traffic so you can keep an eye on the direction it’s heading in.

Once your vehicle has been repaired and you’re safe to travel again, be sure to join the motorway in a safe manner. Either wait for a large gap in the traffic or use the hard shoulder to speed up so that you can join the motorway without danger.

Age Co Motor Breakdown Insurance cover

Find out more

Who do I call if my car breaks down?

If you have breakdown cover, you should call your provider who will take some details and send out a rescue vehicle to your location. Alternatively, you could use the motorway emergency phones.

If you don’t have breakdown cover, you might be able to take a policy out over the phone while you’re on the side of the road. There will likely be a fee for this, however the provider will be able to repair your vehicle, take it to the nearest garage or give you a lift home.

If you don’t think you have breakdown cover, it might be worth contacting your car insurance company as they may include breakdown cover within your policy.

Should you stay in your car if it breaks down?

You should monitor the situation that you’re in to determine whether it’s safe to wait in your vehicle.

If your vehicle breaks down on the motorway, it’s highly advised that you leave the vehicle and stay a distance away from it. If you feel at risk from another person, get into the vehicle from the left hand side and lock all the doors.

If your vehicle breaks down on a similar busy road, such as an A road, or you’re in a compromising position, such as on a blind corner, it would be safer to exit the vehicle and find a secure place to stand and wait for the breakdown vehicle.

If you’re in a relatively quiet town centre that’s well lit and you’re out of the way of traffic, then it will likely be safe to remain in your vehicle.

Pets should always be left in the vehicle unless you consider the situation to be an emergency, such as the vehicle is on fire.

Learn more about Age Co and the products we provide. Request an Age Co brochure to find out more!

Request a brochure


Related articles

Should I get comprehensive or third party car insurance?

There are so many varying types of cover to choose from that mean taking out car insurance can be confusing. What’s the difference between third party and comprehensive cover, and what’s third party fire and theft insurance?

Read more

How often should you change your windscreen wipers?

When you think of car maintenance, your car’s windscreen wipers are probably not the first things that spring to mind. But they are actually a really important part of your car and absolutely crucial for driving safely.

Read more

What are the car insurance groups?

How exactly do insurance companies come up with your quote, and why are your quotes sometimes higher than your neighbours, when you live on the same street?

Read more

Back to top