Skip to content

Can you insure a car that you don't own?

| Insurance

If you're planning on borrowing your partner's or a family member's car for a short period of time, a weekend road trip to visit friends perhaps, you may wonder if you're able to insure the car although you don't own it?

In this guide, we answer the question, can you insure a car that's not in your name? Explaining if and how you can insure a vehicle that's not your own.

Can I insure a car I don't own?

Yes, you can get an insurance policy on someone else's car you don't own. When applying for a seperate policy, or if you're added to the owner's current policy as a named driver, you need to make sure that the insurer is fully aware that you're not the registered keeper or owner of the vehicle during application.

When it comes to vehicle rentals and leases, these usually come with insurance for the hiring period as standard. To check this, just ask the rental or leasing company to run through their insurance policy for the vehicle with you.

Age Co Car Insurance

Find out more

How does non-owner car insurance work in the UK?

There are a few different ways to get non-owner car insurance: 

1. Check your current policy

Does a seperate insurance policy need to be taken out to drive a car you don't own? Not necessarily; if you have fully comprehensive cover under your current provider, it may be that your car insurance policy covers driving cars you don't own. Exclusions and limitations will apply of course, and the cover will be third-party only. However, cover for driving a car in the UK that you don't own can still be found in some pre-existing policies, so it's worth taking a look over your current policy before taking any further action.

You can find out more information on the difference between third party and fully comprehensive car insurance on our blog post dedicated to the topic.

2. Buy your own insurance policy for the vehicle in question

Be sure that the provider is aware you don't own the vehicle and you'll also need to let them know if you currently have another car insurance policy.

3. Become a named driver on the current owner/registered keeper's policy

It's quite common for family members, partners and close friends to be added as named drivers on a car insurance policy. Adding an additional driver to a current insurance policy is an easy process for the main driver. However, they should be aware that it may affect the price of the current policy or changes to the policy may incur an admin fee, depending on the provider.

No matter which way you choose, you must be transparent with your insurance provider and avoid fronting. 'Fronting' is when someone is listed as the main driver of the car when they're not the one driving it the majority of the time. This is illegal and classes as insurance fraud and used by some as a way to help lower insurance costs, particularly for those who are new to driving or less experienced.

When to get insured on someone else's car without a seperate policy

Depending on your provider, there are some instances where you may not be able to take out a seperate plicy on a car you don't own. For example, if you want to take out a new policy as the named driver of a vehicle, some providers will only allow you to do this if you're the registered keeper of the vehicle. Some providers also only allow those with a defined relationship to take out seperate policies, such as children, parents or employers.

Should this happen, you may need to consider one of the other options, depending on who will be doing the majority of the driving and who the owner or registered keeper of the vehicle is. The simplest alternative might be to ask to be added to the owner's policy as an additional driver.

How can I add someone to my car insurance?

If you choose to add someone to your car insurance policy, this will make them a 'named driver'. Be aware that should any incidents occur whilst they are driving your vehicle it will be recorded against your policy and likely impact your claims history. To find out more about making changes to your existing policy, please take a look at our blog that discusses this subject in detail.

However, please be aware that making this change to your policy could risk your previous no claims bonus, should a claim be made. If you're looking to keep things seperated, then it may be best that the individual takes out their own policy on your vehicle.

So, when it coes to thinking about insuring a car you don't own or insuring a non-owner on you own insurance, just remember, all options need to be considered before you agree to anything so that all parties are comfortable before you go ahead.

If you're looking for a comprehensive insurance policy that also provides third party cover for driving other vehicles in the UK, get a quote from Age Co online today.

Learn more about Age Co and the products we provide. Request an Age Co brochure to find out more!

Request a brochure


Related articles

Should I get comprehensive or third party car insurance?

When it comes to deciding between third party and comprehensive car insurance cover there is much to be considered. We weigh up the benefits of each in this helpful article.

Read more

Everything you need to know about vehicle tax and insurance

In this all-encompassing guide, we discuss the ins and outs of vehicle tax and insurance, answering commonly asked questions including what documentation is needed to tax a car? And, how much it will cost? Learn more here.

Read more

Switching your car insurance when you buy or sell

Whether you’re buying or selling a vehicle, you’ll need to tell your insurance provider so that the policy can be altered or cancelled. Find out more here.

Read more

Back to top