Skip to content

Impacts of a no-deal Brexit on Age Co customers

| Insurance

As you are aware, the United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on the 31st January 2020 with a Withdrawal Agreement and subsequently entered into a transitional period which ended on the 31st December 2020. 

The UK Government has announced that discussions with the EU to agree the terms of the future relationship between the two have been successful and a trade deal has been confirmed. However, not all of the details are fully known.

Please be assured that you are still covered by the terms of your car insurance policy if you are considering taking your vehicle outside of the UK from 1st January 2021.  Until such time as all of the specific terms are known, you may need to take a few additional steps in order to drive in the EU/European Economic Area (EEA).

The situation is being constantly monitored, so please visit or call 0345 128 7915 for the latest information.

Please note that the information below may not be up-to-date. For more information please read the Brexit - Important Information for Policyholders article here.

Updated 07/01/2021.

Car Insurance

At present, if you have an Age Co Car Insurance policy that allows you to drive within the EU, this will remain unchanged.

Government advice has not been updated since August 2019. At present, we therefore do not expect any changes to requirements for driving in the EU until the end of the implementation period at least. If at the end of the implementation period (31 December 2020) there is no deal between the UK and EU, you will need to take a Green Card with you for certain countries, and also potentially obtain an International Driving Permit, or IDP. We would also recommend that you take your vehicle’s V5C log book.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance, issued by insurance providers in the UK to prove that you have the minimum compulsory third-party motor insurance cover required by law for the country you’re visiting. Currently, this must be a paper document and not a digital version.

In addition to the basic cover the Green Card gives you, we provide you with insurance cover up to 180 days as specified in your insurance policy.

We will be able to provide you with a Green Card at no extra cost, but you will need to contact us 4 weeks before you travel to request one.

How to get hold of a Green Card?

To request a Green Card please call us on 0345 165 0914.
To make the call as easy as possible, please have the following information to hand:

  • Your policy number
  • The make, model and registration number of the vehicle you’re driving under your policy
  • The dates of when you plan to drive your vehicle outside of the UK
  • The countries you intend to drive in
  • Names and ages of any other drivers who you intend to drive your vehicle
  • Registration and/or chassis number, make and model of anything you intend to tow (e.g. a trailer or Caravan)

Where will your policy cover you after Brexit?

Once you have your Green Card, you will be covered for driving in the following countries:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (incorporating Liechtenstein), Slovakia and Slovenia.

What is an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

An International Driving Permit is a permit that allows you to drive in countries where a UK licence alone is not sufficient.

There are two types of IDP required by EU countries, each governed by a separate United Nations convention. More information about the requirements can be found here on the Department for Transport website.

An IDP costs around £5.50 and is available from the Post Office, which also has a useful tool to help you look up requirements for individual countries.

Please remember to take your UK driving licence with you when driving in the EU, as you will need this as well as the relevant IDP.

Please note that this is not an insurance requirement and therefore not a document provided by your insurance policy.

Age Co Car Insurance

Find out more



Related articles

10 Driving Rules in Europe

You may be prepared for driving on the righthand side of the road, but do you know what the foreign signs and road rules are in Europe? Here’s ten tips for a European road trip.

Read more

End of Free Health Cover

ABTA, the UK’s largest travel association, is urging all travellers to strongly consider taking out travel insurance - whether there is a no deal Brexit or not.

Read more

Singles holidays for the over 50s: seeing the world solo and loving it

Travelling solo for a holiday is nothing to be afraid of. In fact, solo travel can open up a whole world of possibilities.

Read more

Back to top