Age Co uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them read our cookie policy
Skip to content

Insurance for Jewellery & Other valuables

Protect your valuables are covered from theft, damage and loss, should the worst happen.

  • Pay monthly at no extra cost (0% APR Representative)^^
  • No hidden admin fees
  • Low standard excess of just £45‡
  • Contents insurance for up to £60,000
  • 'New for Old' cover
  • Award Winning Service^
Donations to Age UK's charitable work from Age Co sales are expected to reach £3 million each year

The sentimental value of items such as jewellery, antiques and heirlooms, often means they are irreplaceable. However, ensuring your valuables are covered for loss, theft or damages will mean that you are compensated by your insurer and will receive enough money to replace the item as new.

Specialist insurance, such as jewellery insurance and engagement ring insurance is available, however your valuables can often be covered by your home insurance policy. Age Co Home Insurance for over 50s offers standard cover for individual items up to the value of £2,000, but cover for higher valued items may be available on request, so it’s important to know exactly how much your items are worth.

When it comes to adding valuables to your contents insurance, it’s important to ensure you’re covered for the right amount, know when to declare specific high-value items to your insurer, and understand whether or not your jewellery and other valuables are protected while they’re away from home so that you aren’t left out of pocket should the unexpected happen.

What is a single item limit?

A single item limit is the maximum amount that an insurer will pay out for an individual item, such as a watch or a ring, should you make a claim on your home insurance policy. The single item limit applies to each item separately, so if any of your more expensive items are valued at more than the single item limit, they will need to be listed separately on your policy.

If you want to ensure your valuables are covered on your home insurance policy, it’s important to check their value against the single item limit. If their value exceeds the limit, you will be under-insured if you need to make a claim. This means you should have your items valued regularly if they are likely to increase in value, and ensure any new items are added to your policy as soon as you buy or receive them.

Most insurers will treat pairs or sets of items as one item, so be sure to take this into account when considering the value of your items against the maximum claim amount.

Age Co Home Insurance offers standard cover for individual items up to the value of £2,000, and cover for higher valued items may be available on request.

Valuing high value items and jewellery

While you may not be asked to prove how much your high value items are worth when you take out your policy, you’ll need to provide evidence of their value if you make a claim. Your valuables may be worth more than you think, so it’s important to be prepared and update your insurance company if you find that they have increased in value.

While you may not be asked to prove how much your high value items are worth when you take out your policy, you’ll need to provide evidence of their value if you make a claim. Your valuables may be worth more than you think, so it’s important to be prepared and update your insurance company if you find that they have increased in value.

High value jewellery, antiques and heirlooms

If you have any high value items, such as jewellery, antiques and heirlooms, you should have these valued by an antiques dealer, pawnbroker or jeweller who is accredited by the National Association of Goldsmiths and obtain a valuation certificate, particularly if they are especially rare or collectable.

There may be a small charge for their services, as some items will need to be sent away to be valued by an expert. However, if it’s a high value item, it’s always worthwhile paying the valuation fee to ensure you receive the correct pay-out if the item is lost or stolen.

As well as obtaining a valuation certificate, it’s important to also take photographs as evidence of the item’s condition in case you need to make a claim for accidental damage.

Watches, wedding rings and engagement rings

For any newer purchases, such as luxury watches, wedding or engagement rings it’s a good idea to keep the receipt as a proof of value at the time of purchase. If you or someone in your family receives any jewellery for a special occasion, such as a birthday, a wedding or a Christmas present, let your insurer know so it can be added to your policy.

The price of precious metals and stones can fluctuate, so again, be sure to obtain regular valuation certificates, even if the item is less than 10 years old. Remember, if you don’t have up-to-date proof of how much your item is worth, your insurer can only go by the original valuation, so you won’t be properly compensated if you make a claim.

Is my jewellery insured while I’m away from home?

As an optional extra to your contents insurance, you can ensure your valuables are protected if they are accidentally damaged in the home. However, many of us keep our high value items, such as watches and jewellery, on us at all times, so will need cover while we’re out and about or on holiday.

Personal possessions cover

Most standard contents insurance policies will cover your valuables outside the home as an optional extra. Insurers will also offer extended personal belongings cover, often known as personal possessions cover, as an add-on to the standard contents insurance policy. This means that Age Co Home Insurance will cover you against theft or accidental damage, should you take your valuables out of the property with you.

Depending on the insurer, you may only be covered for certain periods of time while travelling outside the UK. They may also insist you wear your jewellery at all times or keep it safely locked away while you’re travelling abroad. With Age UK’s personal belongings extended cover, you and your family can relax safe in the knowledge that your valuables are covered anywhere in the world during the period of insurance.*chan

Designed with the needs of over 50s in mind, Age Co Home and Contents insurance is rated 5 Stars by Defaqto and has no hidden admin fees or nasty surprises. Buying Age Co Home Insurance also helps support Age UK's charitable work. Find out more about Age Co Home Insurance.

*T&C's apply



Product Literature

Home Insurance Policy Document
(viewable in pdf, file size 1 MB) 

(viewable in pdf, file size 185 KB)
Personal Legal Protection Policy Document
(viewable in pdf, file size 1 MB) 

If you're an existing customer, please call on 0345 603 0512 for copies of your existing documents.

Calls to 03 numbers use free plan minutes if available. Otherwise they cost the same as 01/02 prefix calls.


Cancellation Charge Refund Form 
(viewable in pdf, file size 414 KB)

Get in touch


Age Co Home Insurance is administered by Ageas Retail Limited and provided by a limited panel of insurers^^^. Age Co Home Emergency Cover is provided by AXA Assistance (UK) Ltd.

Age Co Home Insurance and Age Co Home Emergency Cover were previously sold under the trading name Age UK Home Insurance and Age UK Home Emergency Cover.

Age UK Enterprises are always committed to providing good customer service. If you buy a product from Age UK Enterprises, you may be contacted by our partners Feefo on our behalf to find out about your buying experience.

* 10% of all customers buying an Age UK Home Insurance Buildings & Contents policy between January 2018 and June 2018 paid £179.96 or less (includes insurance premium tax at the applicable rate). The premium you pay will depend on individual circumstances, the cover chosen and optional extras selected.

** If you call the 0800 number, you will be dealing with either an Age UK office or Ageas Retail Limited.

^^ For a limited time only. This will increase to 17.7% APR Representative for all new policies from 01 December 2018.

‡ For a limited time only. This will increase to £95 for all new policies from 01 December 2018. The other excesses are £1,000 for subsidence claims (reducing to £100 for properties less than 10 years old) and £245 for escaping water claims.

†† On standard construction properties.

^ Awarded Consumer Intelligence 2017 awards for Customer Satisfaction and Customer Recommendation for Home Insurance.

‡‡ No Claims Discount can be affected by cancelling cover mid-term. The cancellation fee refund of up to £55 will be made up to 60 days after the request is received together with a confirmation letter from your existing insurer. This letter should state that your policy has been cancelled, and the cancellation charge amount. The original documents should not be sent, only a copy. Your copy will not be returned. The refund will be paid to you by cheque. This offer only applies to new home insurance policies bought over the phone, online, or via an Age UK office (for either buildings, contents or both) before 31 December 2019. Refund forms must be received within 60 days of the Age Co Home Insurance policy start date. This offer may be withdrawn or amended at any time. In the event of the offer being withdrawn only policies purchased before the withdrawal date will be honoured. The refund will not be paid if the Age Co Home Insurance policy has been cancelled within 14 days of the policy start date. Only one administrative/cancellation fee claim can be made per policy. Payment can only be made to the policyholder identified on the policy documents.Your full premium may be taken if your policy is cancelled mid term. Pro rata refunds differ from company to company. Cancellation notice periods differ from insurer to insurer and can take up to seven days. Please check with your existing insurer before cancelling and setting up an Age Co policy. Terms and conditions apply. The decision of Age UK Enterprises Limited in regards to this promotion is final.

^^^ Details are available on request.

Age UK Enterprises Limited trades under the trading name Age Co Insurance Services. Age UK Enterprises Limited is a trading subsidiary company of Age UK (registered charity, no. 1128267) and donates its net profits to Age UK. Products offered by Age Co Insurance Services are arranged by Age UK Enterprises Limited and arranged and administered by Ageas Retail Limited, both of which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Ageas Retail Limited Registered office: Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA. Registered in England and Wales 1324965. FS Register number: 312468. Age UK Enterprises Limited Registered office: Tavis House, 1-6 Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9NA. Registered in England and Wales 3156159. FS Register number: 311438.


Back to top